Skip to main content

Students may declare minors through MyUI by selecting Student Records > Advising > Programs of Study & Advisors. Minors can also be administratively declared for students by an academic advisor or college official.

Students may declare up to three minors through MyUI. Students who wish to declare more than three minors must first meet with an advisor or college official who may declare additional minors, as appropriate.

If you are a student new to the University (admitted for a future session), you are unable to declare a minor until the first day of the session. Current students may declare minors provided they are registered for the current or future session. Students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree from the UI who wish to return to earn a minor should contact the Office of Admissions

Students seeking a BLS or BAS degree objective may not declare a minor.

Things to know about declaring and auditing minors:

  • Minors are valid only for students enrolled in undergraduate colleges (Business, Engineering, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Medicine, and Nursing).
  • Students may only declare minors they are eligible to earn.
  • Not all minors that can be declared are valid for every Program of Study (e.g., business administration minor and interdepartmental studies: business studies track). Students should discuss adding a minor with an advisor before declaring the minor.
  • After a minor is declared, students can request an audit similar to other declared Programs of Study. Students can also request What if? audits to explore the requirements for a minor.
  • Students may not earn a degree and a minor in the same area (e.g., a BA and a minor in psychology).
  • Students may not earn a minor and a certificate in the same area (e.g., a minor and a certificate in global health studies).
  • Declared minors may become invalid with other Program of Study changes; for example, a minor in English will no longer be valid if English is declared as a major.
  • There is no penalty for declaring or retaining a minor which is invalid, but invalid minors continue to count toward the maximum of three minors that can be declared.
  • Minors are added to students' records only when all degree requirements have been completed, a degree application (Student Records > Documentation & Reports > Degree Application) has been filed that indicates completion of one or more minors, and a final degree analysis has been completed. Students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree from the UI who have completed a minor should contact the Office of the Registrar to have the minor added to their student record.

If you have questions, please contact Graduation Services, 2706 University Capitol Centre, at or (319) 335 - 0228